2.23.2005

Bonds--The Great Philosopher?

My apologies to those who haven't read Plato or who didn't see the Barry Bonds press conference yesterday. If you want to see the actual transcript (you can't make it up!) : http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1997605


Barry Bonds or Plato... who is the greater Philosophical mind?

Man, what a great show Barry Bonds gave the sports world yesterday afternoon. Not since Bill Clinton have I heard a more slippery press conference. It's amazing how this athlete could turn direct questions about steroids and cheating in baseball into an upper-level philosophy of language college course. The press conference was almost surreal... it read just like one of Plato's dialogs:

Pressimicus: Barry, did you use steroids?

Bondscrates: Use? How do you mean, use?

P: I don't follow, please enlighten me, Bondscrates.

B: Would you say that an archer uses his arm or his arrow?

P: Naturally, he uses his arrow.

B: Would it follow, then, that a fisherman uses his rod and not his wrist?

P: Surely.

B: So then, it can be concluded that I use my bat and not steroids, correct?

P: Yes. I suppose so.

B: Would you say, then, that I use steroids, Pressimicus?

P: Heavens, no! You merely use your bat.

B: Any other questions?

Pressicles: Bondscrates, would injecting yourself with a performance enhancing substance be considered cheating?

B: Cheating? What is cheating?

P: I don't follow.

B: Is it cheating for a shoemaker to use a hammer instead of his bare hands?

P: Of course not.

B: Is it cheating for a horseman to use a saddle rather than to ride bareback?

P: No.

B: Is it cheating then, for a batsman to use a tool to augment his bat?

P: It follows that it is certainly not cheating to do so, wise Bondscrates.

B: Would you call performance enhancing substances a tool?

P: Yes.

B: So it would follow, then, my dear Pressicles, that it is not cheating to use performance enhancing substances to augment my batting.

P: You are as wise as you are beefy, my dear Bondscrates!

B: Any other inquiries from my audience?

Pressistotle: Are you going to beat the Babe's record?

B: Let me ask you this: Am I a black man?

P: Wha? Where did that come from?

AND SO FORTH....

No comments: