12.18.2004

My Dad... 10/29/50 -12/18/01

My dad fought his cancer with so much bravery and with so little complaining, it was easy to think that he would win the battle. Regardless if you call it hope or denial, I really thought that he would be okay for the first year of the battle--despite how rare and nasty his sarcoma was. Besides, I was only in my 20's... I couldn't lose my dad yet!

Anyway, I took my dad out in the bass boat late one summer. We were done fishing, so I headed the boat back to the boat launch. My dad stopped me and asked if I would take one last lap around the lake. This was the first time I realized that even my dad knew his cancer would end up winning the fight.

I ended up giving my dad his last rides in the boat and in his Corvette... but I take "one more ride" with him each time I pass the lakes or the roads we cruised.

For more info on Sarcoma: http://www.reininsarcoma.org/SarcomaInfo2003Detail.html

No comments: