12.14.2004

BEST OF 2004

Here's MY list of the best junk that I enjoyed this year. Be sure to comment on your fav's... epecially if you disagree. WORST of 2004 soon to follow!


  • BEST CD--Has Been-- William Shatner
Hell no, it's not just a novelty! With Ben Folds serving as music director, the expected campiness of Transformed Man is replaced by a real, legitimate project. Shatner delivers every line with absolute sincerity over Fold's jazz/lounge piano scores. It's a real treat--and should not be overlooked because of the well-deserved cheezy reputation of Shatner. There's real good music here, people! Lyrically, Has Been is punchy, funny, sad, introspective, and tongue-in-cheek all at once. Buy it now.

CLOSE SECOND: Blood Duster--Blood Duster

runners-up-- The System Has Failed--Megadeth, Cool To Be You--Descendents, Romances--Patton and Kaada, Musicology--Prince, BURNSCAR--Necromis


  • BEST MUSICAL COMEBACK-- MEGADETH
Waaayyy back in the day, Dave Mustaine was my guitar hero. I had posters all over my wall to prove it. Then Countdown to Extinction happened.... and what a piece of crap that was. I still listened to the old stuff, but Megadeth has been dead (or is it "ded?") to me for a decade. I sampled the 2004 release, The System Has Failed, on a MP3 website and I was impressed enough to give Dave Mustaine another $15 of my hard earned money. Bringing old-schooler guitarist Chris Polland back to the band was the first indication that Dave wanted to start fresh and return to the thrash-metal that was sooo good back in the day. It's a solid CD that is much appreciated in this era of Nu-Metal. Go Dave! I knew you still had it in ya!

runners-up--Descendents, Prince


  • BEST SPORTS MOMENT-- KG proves his MVP-ness

Yeah, I am a biased homer Minnesotan, but hey... KG is the man--he has been for years. Finally, he is recognized nationally as the BEST NBA player on Earth. Duncan, O'Neal, and Bryant are all solid, but NO ONE puts out the daily effort like KG.... and it was wonderful seeing Garnett raise that trophy. It should also be noted that it would be a waste of the MVP award if the Wolves were another one-and-done playoff team. KG's clutch performances against Denver and Sacramento helped the Wolves finally get the first round curse off their backs.

runners-up-- Tracy McGrady gets 13 pts. in 35 seconds, Lance Armstrong wins another Tour, I guess I have to mention the Red Sox winning the world series... but I hate the Red Sox... so forget it!

  • BEST DESSERT-- Crepe at Beaumond (in Philly)

mmmmmmm! Beaumond specializes in crepes--for an entree or dessert--but I only had the opportunity to eat the dessert. Let me tell you... wow.... they are spectacular! You can choose from a TON of toppings to drizzle all over the perfectly-made crepe. I chose the hazelnut/Nutella/banana combo. Best... dessert... ever!

Runners-up-- Pies at Thanksgiving (graham cracker, pecan, pumpkin, apple)

  • BEST FOOD MOMENT-- My first Philly Cheese Steak

To complete my Philadelphia vacation, it was mandatory to consume at least one authentic Cheese Steak. Our local friends decided to take us to JOHN'S restaurant (you can comment below to support your local favorite, but we decided to eat at John's for their nice outdoor dining. It seems to be a heated argument on whose cheese steak is the best, but John's was pretty damn good). Anyway, I have been enjoying cheese steaks in Minnesota for quite a while--but getting one in Philly was soooo rewarding. It's like looking at a print of the Mona Lisa all your life--then finally going to France to see it in person.

runners-up-- Stillwater gets a WHITE CASTLE, eating old-school crispy chips 'n' salsa at a Colorado Chili's (Minnesota Chili's have changed their chips), Stillwater gets a Chipotle.

  • BEST MOVIE I SAW IN THE THEATER-- Harry Potter III

Harry Potter III was a decent movie. BUT, it was the ONLY movie I saw in the theater this year, so CONGRATS, Harry!

  • BEST MOVIE TRAILER-- Revenge of the Sith

duh.

  • BEST OF 2004 that didn't come out in 2004, but I discovered 'em this year...

BOOK: Ghost Rider--Neil Peart

Great book, especially if you have dealt with a loss of a friend or family. Also read The Masked Rider by Peart.

BAND: Moist Boyz

My favorite discovery of the year, but they are a few years old now. Great classic rock meets thrash meets southern twang. Wonderful if you're into this stuff.

BRUNCH: Yarusso's

I am a 3rd generation Yarusso's patron (my grandparents dined there when they were kids), so I am quite familiar with their wonderful home-cookin' Italian menu... but this was the first year that I was able to enjoy their brunch. Yummy Italian food, great variety, good price. If you are in the St. Paul, MN area, check out Yarusso's and eat some Pasta Supreme or the Hot Dago Supreme. Go. Now.


No comments: