11.20.2004

My 2 cents on the whole Pistons/Pacers Riot

If you haven't seen it yet, then walk away from your computer and turn on ESPN. You may have to wait a few seconds before they show it again.

Back already?

Okay... here's my take:

What disturbs me the most is the fact that an idiot fan can afford a $150 lower level seat and I can only afford the $24 nosebleed seats! Usually it is the idiot fan in the cheap seats that ruins the game for me... now I have to deal with idiot fans near the court? How can that drunken asshole make more money than me? The NBA needs to raise ticket prices on the lower levels to price out the riff-raff. If the rich guys in the good seats happen to get drunk and start a riot... at least they are rich enough not to be tempted by the lawsuit lotto.

Seriously, though, Big Ben Wallace is a thug and should be suspended for his shot to Lil' Ron's neck. Lil' Ron Artest is a thug who should be facing criminal charges for punching idiot fan #1 (no matter how wrong it is to throw a beer, it doesn't equate a face drubbing). Idiot fan #1 should be facing criminal charges for public endangerment or whatever you get for throwing stuff on the court. Idiot fans #6 and #7 should be in a holding cell for getting on the court and charging at Lil' Ron. They got punched a few times, so they will probably get a nice fat NBA check in the mail.

If the NBA punishes its players with an example-setting, harsh suspension then it may just save itself. Critics have been whining for a long time about the thug mentality of the NBA... this fuels the fire.

If our law system doesn't allow idiots #6 and #7 to get cash for charging at an NBA player and getting punched for it, then it may just save itself. If they win the law suit lottery, the flood gates will open for all those willing to take a celebrity's punch for a fat check.

If idiot #1 is ever allowed back into an NBA arena... well hopefully it's in a cheap seat well out of throwing distance. Idiot fans have always interpreted their tickets as licenses to shout whatever, drink whatever, and throw whatever. Those are real people on the court, remember. Punish those who forget that.

All in all this is a lesson on restraint. Big Ben should have restrained his frustration of getting blown out by the Pacers and getting the hard foul. Lil' Ron should have restrained his rage when the beer was thrown (never, never, never go to the stands!). Idiot fans should have restrained their intake at beer #6.

One last thing. How am I supposed to take Lil' Ron's street-cred seriously when he runs away and lies down (literally, watch the tape) after Big Ben takes a shot at his neck ... yet he doesn't hesitate to take on a 135 lb drunken fan after getting a plastic cup o' beer thrown at him? C'mon, Lil' Ron, I don't know if I'll be purchasing your rap CD now. I guess I'll settle for the upcoming T-Hud CD instead.

2 comments:

drewbacca said...

Hell yeah! I'm definitely not gonna buy his CD now. I was really looking forward to it too. But I'm not sending my money to this guy, and I'll definitely be putting him on the trading block from my fanatasy b-ball team now.

deeped said...

I was pretty amazed about the fact that the NBA was no better than a game of soccer in, say, England or in Sweden... somehow it feel a little more "you don't hooligan inside" but maybe your courts is that big you loose perspective...